Standing in the GAP

In 1 Samuel 20, we find Jonathan going against all odds to protect David’s life, so much so that he went against the Kings orders. Jonathan loved David as he loved himself and he swore on the living God that as long as he lives David shall not be killed. As I was reading this chapter and trying to bring it to our daily lives, Jonathan were the people God sends our way to stand in the GAP, and fill in for us in our times of need, mostly through prayer. A Jonathan’s job is very vital because it has the power to prevent an individual from facing death. When God gives us an opportunity to be a Jonathan in someones life may we not take it for granted, may we stand in the gap and do exactly as the Lord has assigned us to do, may we not doubt God, and may we not think that these boots are too big for us. Stand in the Gap, give it your all, and make sure that your David walks out of whatever situation they are faced with alive.

Comments

• edited June 27

Thank you very much, Tandzile, for this encouragement. We tend to focus on David often and think Jonathan is just an accessory, yet he is a particularly important factor in our path to eternity. I can also picture Aaron in the case of Moses; he may also be viewed as an accessory, yet he was important for Moses to be able to accomplish some of the tasks God had sent him to do.

May God help me to value my Jonathans and also take my being a Jonathan in the lives of those assigned to me, seriously. May I be an able and obedient Jonathan.